If you're looking for a date that is good for your health, why not hike together? Some people like to be “doing something” on a date like jogging, whilst others prefer talking. Hiking meets both of those needs as you can be walking and talking at the same time. It's also great for one of the first dates you have with someone because it's amazingly easy to talk when you're out in nature.
This is a collaboration post and contains affiliate links. My website is my job, and helps to support our family. If you decide to buy something you see mentioned here, I would be so thankful if you clicked through my links so I can receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Please read my full disclosure.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”3z845″ via=”yes” ]Some people like to be “doing something” on a date like jogging, whilst others prefer talking. Hiking dates in Hertfordshire meets both of those needs as you can be walking and talking at the same time.[/ctt]
Before your date:
- Hertfordshire singles: research the hiking trails that are near you. Is the beginning and ending of the trail in the same place or should you park somewhere in between? Is parking available nearby, does parking cost anything? Is it a long distance? What is the difficulty level of this hike? Is there a bathroom nearby, should you or your date need one?
- Plan your course and print out a map, if available.
- Take plenty of water and a couple of apples, energy bars and nuts for hiking snacks in your fannypack. Bring along enough for your date, in case they didn't.
- Pack your camera and smartphone.
- Bring and use sunscreen and bug spray.
- Bring your sunhat, some areas of hiking trails are not covered by foliage.
- Consider bringing a trekking pole and use it, but kindly offer it to your date occasionally if he/she does not have one.
On your date:
- Stay on the path.
- If you get on a path that's too difficult for one of you to navigate, be willing to turn around.
- On narrow paths, take turns leading.
- It can be fun to use a walking app, like the Walkmeter app. It shows everything you need to take your walk: maps, graphs, statistics, terrain, and speed. It will also help you find your way back on the path, if you didn't listen to my advice to stay on the path!
3 Great Hiking Dates In Hertfordshire
Heartwood Forest has over half a million trees! Hertfordshire dating has never been easier! With all that woodland, meadow areas, and wildlife, there's more than enough nature to talk about on your date! You can decide your level of difficulty here this historical forest offers three gentle walks that are recommended by the Woodland Trust. If you are looking for something medium sized for this date, why not try “The Wildlife Wander”, which is a two and a half mile journey that takes you through wildflower meadows, past ancient oak trees, and through a newly sprouting forest, offering an excellent visual variety. Parking, public toilets and more than one place to get a fizzy drink, when finished with the hike, nearby if you decide you would like to spend more time with this person!
In the sprawling Chiltern Hills, lies the grand Ashridge Estate with its 2,000 hectare (5,000 acres). It is home to a gorgeous forestry with various walks to be found. There is a large variety of wildlife. You might stumble upon groups of majestic fallow deer or red robins. You will see lambs on the Livinghoe Hills in Spring. There are many trees to see including beech and oak. You see many different landscapes all on this one property. National Trust café and visitor centre is onsite along with toilets. The National Trust took over the Ashridge Estate in 1926 and their Countryside team still manages the landscape as a working estate, continuing 3,000 years of tradition. They use livestock to help look after the diverse habitats on the downlands and their foresters fell timber to ensure the health of the woodland. Be sure to visit the Bridgewater Monument, which is a tower with 172 spiral steps to the top that you can climb, or just look at! It commemorated the Third Duke of Bridgewater (Canal Duke).
The Sculpture Walk
The Sculpture Walk is a leisurely one-hour walk that introduces a selection of outdoor sculptures located on the College Lane Campus and includes an introduction to one of their gallery spaces. The University of Hertfordshire Art Collection features 500 artworks displayed across its campuses, which makes it a great place for dating in Hertfordshire It includes works such as an abstract stone sculpture by the iconic Barbara Hepworth and a bronze torso by Henry Moore's pupil John Farnham. This is an ideal walk for someone who finds longs walks and lots of ups and downs to be too much. There is lots to see and plenty of benches for rests. There are fun sculptures nestled among the greenery, like the wooden wild boar with her piglets. There are some pubs for refreshments nearby with toilets as well.
If you have someone to walk with, go and invite them now to go on a hike with you! If not, get on some dating websites and find someone online so you can check these out with someone soon.
This is a collaboration post.
- Walkmeter app
- [amazon_textlink asin='B073M1CL48|B073ZBK3C1′ text='hiking water bottle with fannypack' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|UK' link_id='d4bfc41e-582d-11e8-9420-278b4efc14a6′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B0054RPY7I|B01DYGKTW0′ text='energy bars' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|UK' link_id='e81d592b-582d-11e8-b2fe-6d1fe81e87ce']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B075QR224S|B071D7RZQ3′ text='single package natural almonds' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|UK' link_id='47665a65-582e-11e8-82e3-1915a5964e46′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00AXYF5EY|B003O3G0H2′ text='apples' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|UK' link_id='5d37d489-582e-11e8-a797-1b858c2d37d3′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01D93Z89W|B01CU8JZPU' text='camera' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|UK' link_id='807a047d-582e-11e8-872e-ad422717381f']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B075QJSQLH|B075ZWR3D8′ text='iPhone iOs 8.0′ template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|UK' link_id='d17bc71d-582e-11e8-9f04-7b5203920b47′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B004D2DR0Q|B06X6LZWRC' text='sunscreen' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|UK' link_id='e77c6852-582e-11e8-9e96-3395a1237b07′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B071LJP9KS|B01LYBLFWX' text='bug spray' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|UK' link_id='13cc66c9-582f-11e8-bde4-e94ac35fc775′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B0725C7H4V|B01J1GQ1II' text='sunhat' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|UK' link_id='282ac9e9-582f-11e8-9fa3-1107005750ce']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01N4DGBTT|B002SYV9RO' text='trekking pole' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|UK' link_id='5a00349c-582f-11e8-9a17-f5d8fae36c9c']
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Please share this post.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome