Many people think of their house as one thing and their garden as the other. However, those who enjoy the healthier outdoor life have a secret that the rest of us can learn from. This secret is that they blur the lines between the indoors and outdoors and treat their garden or backyard as just another room in their house. You can find out more about how to do this in this article.
This is a contributed post and contains affiliate links. My website is my job, and helps to support our family. If you decide to buy something you see mentioned here, I would be so thankful if you clicked through my links so I can receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Please read my full disclosure.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”320rU” via=”yes” ]Those who enjoy the healthier outdoor life have a secret that the rest of us can learn from. They blur the lines between the indoors and outdoors and treat their garden or backyard as just another room in their house. [/ctt]
Probably the most important thing to get right concerning blurring the line between the inside and the outside is how you connect one with the other. This is usually done via glass doors that allow a view into the garden even when they are closed.
Many homeowners go for something like these French double doors that open straight out onto the patio and make it easy for people to move freely from the inside to the outside. Although, in recent times bi-fold doors that fold all the way back and open the room entirely, have also become quite popular.
Next, a vital aspect of blurring the lines between the outside and inside is to provide comfortable seating in the garden space. Luckily, there is a vast range of waterproof seating suitable for gardens on the market.
Some go for cuboid rattan modular seating, often available in muted colors that can look particularly classy. Others prefer a more traditional look with metal chairs and tables, usually painted green, so they blend into the background of the garden.
There are even some inflatable options available including things like these comfy inflatable sofas that is so light it can be moved around the garden with the sun. Something that is bound to get the whole family outdoors and soaking up their daily dose of vitamin D.
Of course, too much sun is a bad thing, and it can get pretty uncomfortable after a while as well. That is why it's crucial to provide a shaded area when you are creating a garden room. Doing so can help to encourage people outside even when the weather is unusually hot.
One option for providing shade in an outdoor garden room is a terrace that is either freestanding or built onto the house. This can be made from a solid sheet of wood or metal, or it can be made of trellis work which can be used to grow creeping plants and vines that will over time create a more organic shaded area.
Fencing and shrubs
Lastly, a clever trick to creating a successful garden room is to use fencing and shrubs to delineate particular areas. For example, it can be useful to create smaller areas that are screened off for quiet contemplation. Hiding an area that contains a water feature, so those walking around the garden get a pleasant surprise when they come across it is another popular option.
In a way, it works just as the walls in your home do. By creating a particular space, and as such it can further help blur those lines between the inside and outside particularly well.
This is a contributed post.
- French double doors
- [amazon_textlink asin='B074VZWX75′ text='waterproof outdoor sofa' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='74d48893-4fe9-11e8-a6bc-91ada7c915a2′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B017BIKA3K' text='green metal outdoor table and chairs' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='7fd6124f-4fe9-11e8-a912-a719a40c14e9′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B06XGNG3VT' text='cuboid rattan modular seating' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='97a92903-4fe9-11e8-a154-139b81d62851′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B077HRLBT7′ text='comfy inflatable sofas' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='a711dd1e-4fe9-11e8-97e3-d753eb902662′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B0748L9PGH' text='awning' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='c7daced4-4fe9-11e8-97ae-d753558d551b']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00TECIY26′ text='gazebo' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='d0780223-4fe9-11e8-a726-afa19961f9bf']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B000NCWMBK' text='wood fence' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='ed060892-4fe9-11e8-97ef-b1c1016a6108′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01N0UY0KG' text='shrub' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='f75f9238-4fe9-11e8-b9e8-956ceacab87e']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B0067PI5M2′ text='outdoor fountain' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='06d0d1e2-4fea-11e8-b13e-b9372ac7adc9′]
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Please share this post.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome