As a homeschool mom of eight kids with three graduates and one that will be graduating next year, I know that the High School years are very important and that it's important to provide your homeschool students with options for job skills training. I especially like to offer homeschool vocational program options that help my student learn a trade.
Disclosure: I was compensated for my time writing this article. All opinions are my own.
Homeschool Job Skills Training
When you are deciding what to offer your student for a homeschool vocational program, I recommend talking with your student to see what their personality is like and get a feel for their interests by finding out…
- whether they would be happiest working inside or outside
- do they enjoy working with people or on their own
- would they want to do something with their hands, talk on the phone, or type on a keyboard
- would they want to be in a business where they are helping someone
Bruce Cloney Door Institution Courses
Recently, I discovered the Bruce Cloney Door Institution Courses. I feel that this option is a great fit for all of the above.
- they would be working both inside and outside
- they would work on their own, yet be around people to talk to because they are often working in a busy doorway
- they would be working with their hands while installing and repairing, talking on the phone when they are setting up repair and installation dates, typing on a keyboard to keep a database of their customers and what products they use as well as a history of working with them
- they would be helping the business owner as well as everyone who walks through those doors
- as well as learning a Trade and eventually owning their own business
This series of courses allows your student to learn the Trade of an Automatic Door Technician. This course was created by Bruce Cloney, who worked in this business for over 30 years in the New York area and is now teaching your student how to install and repair three types of automatic doors. You can choose how much you want to learn and pay accordingly.
- Low Energy Doors Program 1
- Full Energy Automatic Doors Program 2
- Sliding Doors Program 3
Bruce Cloney's Teaching Style
I had the opportunity to view this teaching and I personally love how he places a Bible verse regarding the work of our hands at the beginning of the Free Preview. He teaches like you are standing next to him learning this trade. Bruce speaks clearly and uses these teaching techniques to help it sink in. His courses are labeled so it would be easy to plan out in your homeschool lesson planner.
- a quick preview of what you will learn with music in the background
- he shows you on a written diagram of what you will learn
- a demonstration on the table
- actually demonstrates with the product in a doorway
- breaks it down into 15 minute or less videos to make it easier to learn and rewatch as needed
- allows you to take a quiz at the end of each section
The Homeschooler's Learning Experience
There are 57 self quizzes for your student to take throughout their learning journey. If your child takes the course well before they graduate, it is recommended that they go through the program again a few months before-hand as a refresher. After passing all of the quizzes, your student will feel confident and have the “know how” in the Automatic Door industry to help them succeed in this field of business. Your student would be miles ahead of anyone who doesn't have this training.
Automatic Doors Are Everywhere
I have to admit that before I watched his videos, I was completely oblivious to the automatic door world. Not only that, but I wondered if my student would be able to make a good living in our area since we are not near a big city. After watching his videos, everywhere I go, I am noticing all of the automatic doors! They are not only in the retail stores, but also in the local chiropractor, the hairdresser, restaurants, churches, they are everywhere.
I am wondering if there are enough Automatic Door Technicians in our area or if the nearest ones are hours away. I can easily see how this could be a full time job and a person in this business will have to be disciplined to set work hours or they may end up working way too many hours in a day.
Support For The Learner
One thing that really impressed me is that Bruce Cloney offers support if you need it. You can contact him to get his opinion or help. He believes in what he does and stands by his product and students. That's great service. If you get the bundle of all three automatic door technician courses, you will be getting over 60 hours of video instruction.
How To Find This Homeschool Vocational Program
To see if this job skill is in demand, you can go to the INDEED job search site, input automatic door technician as a “position” and United States as the “territory.” This can tell you what the pay rates are and whether there is a demand. Even if your student learns just enough to get in the door, he/she will have a great job skill for life, that is always in demand, anywhere they want to live in the country.
If you are still unsure whether this would be a good fit for your son or daughter, just go to the website and click on View Classes and watch both the 14 minute video in the upper part and scroll down to watch the “A Free Preview” Course, which is 15 minutes long. That should give you and your student an idea of what it is about before spending money on the course.
If you still have questions after that, just scroll down to the bottom of his website, where you will see Bruce's email address. Go ahead and send him the questions you have and he will get back to you.
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Want to remember this? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Board!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome