When you homeschool your children, it’s so important that you are creating a homeschooling area for them where they can learn best. As a homeschooling mom of 8 that has lived in seven different houses, I have had some practice with this and I will share what I have learned.
This post contains affiliate link. If you click through and take action, I will be compensated. My full disclosure is here. Thank you!
[ctt template=”4″ link=”xmb31″ via=”yes” ]When you homeschool your children, it’s so important that you are creating a homeschooling area for them where they can learn best.[/ctt]
Creating A Homeschooling Area
A Quiet Environment
It is a challenge to keep things quiet when you have eight children and three of them are not quite school age yet! But there are a few things that can be helpful. If your child is working with a computer program, you can have them wear headphones to be able to hear the program instructions better. If not, and your child is at the desk doing writing or other work that requires concentration, he or she can wear some noise canceling headphones.
Desk furniture placement is very important when you’re creating a study area because as a homeschooling parent, you want to see what your children are doing if you are working with another child or nursing a baby. In order to do this, your children should not have their backs to the wall. Their backs should be faced where you are. This helps you to monitor their work effectively. As they get older and are using a laptop, this will help you to see if they have clicked into another program when they should be doing their school work. These are often best placed in a corner or against a wall where there aren’t too many outside distractions. Keep desks away from the front of a window as well.
It is a good idea to have a craft area and materials to use. In this area, it is best to have easy to clean flooring. If you have carpet and want to keep it that way in your homeschooling room, add a cleanable mat on top of the carpet in this area of the room as it will be easier to clean if acrylic paint or other mediums get spilled onto the floor.
A group learning area is where you will generally read to more than one child at a time. It needs to be a comfortable space that is separate from the desk and craft areas. These are best placed in the center of the room where you have a bit more space. When it comes to seating, consider your comfort as well as the comfort of your students. You may want a chair with arms on it if you will be breastfeeding. It is best to keep your children separated from each other and not sitting closely together on a couch as they may distract each other. Beanbag chairs are nice because you can stack them in an empty corner when not in use and your children can each choose their own color or pattern. This will also help the room to not be packed with too much furniture when group learning is not going on or the room will start to feel cramped and cluttered.
In every home, I have always found it helpful to have a homeschool cabinet. I always call it the homeschool cupboard. We store books, writing materials and math manipulatives there. I also like to have bookcases to store picture and chapter books to encourage the kids to read at any time of the day.
We use plastic storage containers as well. They’re not expensive and you can fill them with materials, completed work, etc. They can be stacked in a corner or stored under desks when not in use. A storage bench is a great place to keep longer items that don't fit in the other places.
We have four children that wear glasses so we have heard from our eye doctors that it is important to have good lighting. In our reading area, there is a lot of natural light from the windows.
What does your homeschool room look like?
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01N6ZJH96′ text='headphones' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='d0c5e6d4-992d-44de-b499-bf03bd3b1718′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B07L5LPSQT' text='noise canceling headphones' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='4da6c733-576b-494d-abd8-4bce20311649′]
- Ever tried. Ever failed. motivational downloadable print
- [amazon_textlink asin='B008GV1KJU' text='Wooden desk' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='48b0fe08-f919-4133-9787-8acd01aea312′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B07KDQW7Q1′ text='laptop' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='4c6d6159-1d93-41ac-97f8-f9e012494a62′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01IC0U9SW' text='wipe-able floor mat' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='828e1a44-5748-44ad-8dd9-88e7b3ca5123′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B017XRDV5S' text='rocking chair' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='b6382a4d-f55d-4d5b-9037-e1c660f9ad41′]
- beanbag chairs with filling
- homeschool cabinet
- [amazon_textlink asin='B002BA5F5C' text='clear storage box' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='053cebfe-01b0-4749-8d8e-dbbbdfb91759′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00E0JO5MG' text='storage bench' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='ef736feb-b679-4348-a4c1-ba7df2e1ad3a']
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
If you find my tips useful, feel free to buy me a coffee to support my efforts. Thank you in advance!
Want to remember this? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Board!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome
wow! its amazing.thanks for shearing amazing information.
Harvindar K Grewal says
Great tips and knowledgeable post ….thank you for sharing with us.