If there is one thing that has changed all of our lives over the past decade, it’s social media. From the beginnings of Facebook to the viral TikTok videos gracing our screens, social media has taken over our lives. They affect businesses and individuals and people have made millions using the advertising power of social media to get them where they would like to be. For some people, social media is the crowning glory of life. They can converse with friends, buy products, interact with their favorite companies, repost videos and get involved in fun challenges. It’s for all of these reasons that social media is positive for people. The problem? Well, it’s when social media goes wrong that people want to take a step back and have a break.
Note: Some links in this post are affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase. Affiliate relationships include, but are not limited to Amazon Associates, Walmart.com, and Etsy.
There are many positives to social media, but the negatives can outweigh those. Social media is like a refrigerator when you are hungry. When you need to eat, you open the refrigerator, don't find anything you want and you walk away. Ten minutes later, you come back for another look despite the fact that nothing has changed. Social media is the same – scrolling the same apps late into the night, getting involved in the drama you see between people and watching the viral stars get “canceled” because they have said something people don't agree with. Social media can be toxic for this reason, and here’s five reasons it may be time for a break. You may even end up wanting to learn how to deactivate Instagram, Facebook and TikTok so that you can have it removed from your life so you can focus elsewhere, and get the focus and positive attitude back that you used to have before all of this entered your life.
- Social media is 1D. There is so much to get from social media, but people and businesses only post what they want you to see. The picturesque lives and successes? Well, those may not be true. People only post one perspective and people judge everything on that one post. This can become overwhelming when people make assumptions. It’s the perfect reason for a break.
- It doesn't last. How many viral stars do you remember from ten years ago? Yep, we don't remember them, either. Social media is vapid, which means that all of the stuff that you have posted right now that goes viral won’t be relevant in a year or so. When things crash down around you, it will hurt. Take a break!
- You’re starting to hate your social media self. Social media is a trap in some ways. If you post happy things about your life, people will say you’re bragging. If you post unhappy things in your life, people will say you’re attention seeking. If you’re starting to hate what you’re posting, the simple way to get rid of that feeling is to stop posting it. You need to take stock, and that means stepping away from it for a while.
- You’re bored. It’s one of the best reasons to let go of social media for a while. You can really bore yourself to tears just constantly scrolling the same apps!
- You’re comparing yourself to everyone else – and it is making you unhappy, negative or paranoid. Just stop. You are you – you don't need to be anyone else. Don't compare yourself to people who just don't matter!
Now that you have read these reasons, you can decide to try a break, maybe try it in stages. Write down how you are feeling today, with the social media. Take it away for a week, then write down how you are feeling. Next, try longer and longer. You may even realize it was an unhealthy addiction or that you now have a better relationship with those in your household or workplace due to being “more present.”
If you try a break, let me know in the comments how it goes for you.
This is a contributed post.
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
If you find my tips useful, feel free to buy me a coffee to support my efforts. Thank you in advance!
Be sure to check out our Etsy shop, NeededInTheHome.
Looking for deals? Read posts about Shopping Deals.
Subscribe to our Hot Shopping Deals emails so you never miss a deal!
Want to remember this? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest Board!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome