We’ve all heard of the famous saying ‘winter is coming’, thanks to the massively successful TV series Game of Thrones. So we’re going to switch it up a little and tell you summer is coming. Just like in Game of Thrones, it’s something that should be feared. Well, sort of feared. As lovely as summer is, we all know how much of a nightmare it can be if we’re not prepared for that intense heat that we get. It can cause so many things, not to mention the fact that you walk around the home sticky, and if you sit on a leather sofa with shorts on, you’d have to peel yourself back off again! So, with only a couple of months left until we’re in the height of summer, we’ve got some great advice that means both you and your home are ready for the summer heat. If you’re interested, have a read of the tips we’ve got below for you.
This is a contributed post and contains affiliate links. My website is my job, and helps to support our family. If you decide to buy something you see mentioned here, I would be so thankful if you clicked through my links so I can receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Please read my full disclosure.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”31EC0″ via=”yes” ]With only a couple of months left until we’re in the height of summer, we’ve got some great advice to get your family and home ready for the summer heat.[/ctt]
The home is the first thing you need to think of. If you’re spending all day at work, the kids are away at play school or normal school, and the house is closed up for hours on end during the day, you’re going to walk into an inferno when you get home. Depending on which way your house is facing, it’ll be even worse. We understand it’s not feasible to leave the windows open all day for some people, and opening them just a crack won’t really do much to help your situation. So, what we advise you do is get in touch with companies such as AirTight Air to make sure you can cool your house down quickly when you get in. Air con is also a blessing when it comes to the night time. For some reason, the night time is the absolute worse, even if the day didn’t feel so bad in the house. All of the sudden it’s impossible to cool down, whether there’s a duvet involved or not. The great thing about air conditioning is that it can work both ways as well. When it comes to those cold winters that we all hate, the air con can easily be used for a blast of much needed warm air.
Once you’ve got the main event figured out, you need to start thinking about the little home changes you can make that will make the rooms look much brighter and summery when the weather does finally come. One of the best things you can do is to try and keep everything nice and light. Light colors reflect the light, which in turn helps to keep the heat away. But when the sun is shining on it the fresh white walls and decor look absolutely beautiful. So we’re going to give you a little bedroom decor tip that’ll brighten the whole place up in no time. First things first, most of the walls have to be that crisp white colour. Yes, we know it is easier for them to get a bit messy, but they just look so good in the summer. Having a once a year refresh will keep them nice and bright anyway! If all white is a bit too much for you, we’ve got you covered. If you have one wall as a feature wall it helps to break up that harsh white colour. For the theme we’re going to have today, a nice lilac colour will be beautiful. We recommend using wallpaper for the feature wall as you can have more going on. You don’t just have these solid blocks of colour all around the room, you can have a bit of a pattern going on. Then for the bedding we think a nice lilac or lavender one will look lovely. The lighter shade helps to brighten up the room, and the light purple will look lovely with the wallpaper. All you have to do is a quick Google search and you’ll see some really appropriate bedding. Furnish the bed with a purple pillows, and a fluffy one just to add a bit of jazz. If you’ve got the money to do it, oak bedroom furniture would look great just to mix things up a little. Accessories should be purple as well, but it’s up to you what accessories you actually have. And there you have it, a lovely fresh bedroom that is going to be summer ready.
Most of us love summer, we love everything about it. The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the drinks are flowing, the BBQ is hot. But if there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s that summer creates a lot of problems with things like water shortage and power outages when you’ve got your own home. Water shortages can restrict your life so much, especially if it is a strict shortage. One thing you can do here is have your own supply fitted, although this is going to be costly. It takes you away from the main waterline, so the restrictions wouldn’t apply to you. It’s up to you whether you think the price to pay would be worth it or not. As for things like power outages, it’s always good practice to have a backup generator on hand. These aren’t as expensive, but they’ll still leave a dent in your wallet. However, you won’t have to struggle without power for a long period of time, or have to worry about going about your daily life without power. The best thing about a backup generator is it can be used at any time of the year, no matter what the reason for the power going out is.
As we’ve already said, some of us just don’t cope with the heat. There’s the people you see swanning around with their lovely summer outfits on, a healthy glow, and a spring in their step. But then you have the majority of us struggling by in our jean shorts and a vest top, sweating from pretty much every point you could possibly sweat from, and darting into the shade at any point possible. Don’t feel alone, embrace the sun struggle! What we can do is try and make things a little easier for you. So, the first thing you need to think about is your summer outfits. The floatier the better. Whilst shorts are one of the best things to wear, jean shorts actually aren’t. The material is too thick and there’s plenty more you could buy that will leave you feeling free. If you want to go trendy, purchase some ¾ length flare trousers, definitely not the ones that stick to your skin, the nice floaty ones. Then a nice little smart cropped top to finish, with some fresh white trainers, providing white goes. This will help to keep the main parts of your body exposed, your legs with a bit of floaty air flow, and your whole image stylish. If you want to accessorise, cat sunglasses are so in right now, and a straw hat is just a funky little accessory that helps to bring that summer vibe to your outfit.
Protect The Kids
The kids are the ones that suffer with the heat the most because they don’t understand that some of the things they do are actually making them feel so much hotter, especially if you have younger children. For example, even though the sun is beating down, they still want to spend the day outdoors running around. Before you know it you’ve got a crying child on your hands with possible sun stroke. Whilst sun stroke isn’t necessarily deadly, it can hospitalise children due to the sheer dehydration that their body is being put through. Plus, it can make a child really sick. So, the advice we’re going to give you is this. Keep them inside during the hottest parts of the day, or under a veranda if you have one if they insist on staying outside. Always use children’s sunscreen as it has the highest SPF to protect your littles one skin. Try and keep their clothes as loose and as free as possible, just like yours. If they want to do something like play out in the pool, top the sunscreen up hourly and always make sure they’re wearing a hat to prevent their scalp from burning, whether they’re in the pool or not.
Spruce Up The Garden
Our final little section with a few ideas of how you can spruce up the garden. The best thing you can do is have a little chill out area away from the sun. If you don’t have a veranda, we highly recommend you get one. It creates that lovely bit of shade you so badly need, and you can create the perfect chill out area under it. We’re talking hammocks, outdoor fans, drinks holders, even a mini fridge to keep the drinks ice cold if you want. If hammocks is pushing the boat out a little, try getting a swinging furniture set that will allow you to float away with the cool breeze that the veranda should create.
So there we go. Summer might be coming, but now you should be a little more prepared for it.
This is a contributed post.
- [amazon_textlink asin='B001CEMZUQ|B00K6ALOR2|B00K6MBIJY|B00K6MBIJY|B00K6AEQE0′ text='one coat white wall paint' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|ES|IT|UK|FR' link_id='dc1d70e9-3856-11e8-99c2-4f1995d99183′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B07BK778HG|B00P20O0ZO' text='one coat lilac wall paint' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|UK' link_id='13b6fe68-3857-11e8-8780-4f0440b89e82′]
- Brewster TOT47234 Gatsby Purple City Scape Stripe Wallpaper
- Ocean Star Oversized 3-Piece Bedspread Set-Lilac Color-California King Size
- [amazon_textlink asin='B075G28G67|B07B3T36D8|B07BLSJ792|B07BLSJ792|B06XW6F6J2|B07BXV8BFM|B07CDVQNP7′ text='lilac accent bed pillows' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='b7761a9c-385b-11e8-adbc-a3f5e1b01ab4′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B073Y3S3H7|B01G8N4K44|B07B3QRZNL' text='lilac plush bed pillow' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|CA|UK' link_id='364777fb-385c-11e8-864f-4d8334447f45′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B0002DUQDG' text='oak dresser' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='91e2b343-385c-11e8-a157-6de3681de3de']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00MXXTN28|B00MXXTN28|B01J82NSJK' text='oak king size headboard' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|CA|UK' link_id='cde73af8-385c-11e8-968a-91af3bbcbf90′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B074SVWZW7|B06VTPRVDF|B01LX1A93Y|B077DFV784|B07BLP5CN4|B07BLP5CN4|B06W52YR1C' text='lilac lamp' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinthe00-20|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21|neededinth0b3-21′ marketplace='US|ES|CA|UK|DE|FR|IT' link_id='57e48d05-385d-11e8-9c20-11b157c8801e']
- backup generator
- Top-Rated Sale! Trendy Clothing Collection!
- [amazon_textlink asin='B071X6B11Q|B01M3RHUHD|B077VQHCZ5|B07881HNMR|B075VPC95T|B06XB5LQRS|B0143X03NI' text='cat sunglasses' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinth0b3-21|neededinthe0c-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|IT|ES|UK|DE|FR' link_id='8e9f3658-385e-11e8-adf8-bf639f9c08dd']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B078V2FXBQ|B074CMQMS5|B0053OQNMC|B07B9WQZRK|B077CZ5NJ9|B06XRD6FKZ|B074J88PL3′ text='straw hat' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededinthe03-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|FR|UK|DE' link_id='18cbfc13-385f-11e8-bdbe-a924235504a1′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00H33ZP3O|B00Y8PQKHK|B00KRWR2FC|B00BYC1RBE|B01A5PCRUK|B004D248ZE|B00KRWR2FC' text='children’s sunscreen' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='4f23e17d-385f-11e8-80d6-63f9f7b51fbc']
- Gymboree Children's Clothing
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01HKMDPOI|B072P2RTWH|B007PF2N5I|B007PF2N5I|B00VIX69EO|B074N9XLFV|B073XTL7FN' text='child size sunhat' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='ae23f244-385f-11e8-9ceb-3b9b220a5f8d']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01GCKAPLK|B01MQWVDCL|B0711BZK2B|B01F56IFNW|B00VRJW7WC|B06XFK7LQB|B01F579WUQ' text='hammock' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='ee8bfb89-385f-11e8-a9f7-df0df4420467′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00IR8H55A|B00XW8P8DG|B008ZBNI46|B00LATVB0I|B00FLTE8OE|B00K8O20N8|B073SR792K' text='mini fridge' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='2c324dcb-3860-11e8-81f2-b1929da38b26′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00JH9CZVM|B072LD9LH7|B071FT63LD|B00DHWKIYG|B00J7ZC0DY' text='garden swing' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|UK|DE' link_id='9fa11594-3860-11e8-9c7d-578085cac95b']
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Please share this post.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome