One of the most essential aspects of having a home business is making sure you've got an appropriate place to work. If you're starting out, you'll learn soon enough that working on the couch in front of the TV isn't just counterproductive, but it becomes very uncomfortable. Instead, if you really want to adopt the working ethic, you have to set up your own home office. How should you set up a proper working office for your home dealings?
This is a contributed post and contains affiliate links. My website is my job, and helps to support our family. If you decide to buy something you see mentioned here, I would be so thankful if you clicked through my links so I can receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Please read my full disclosure.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”410vu” via=”yes” ]One of the most essential aspects of having a home business is making sure you've got an appropriate home office to work in. Here are a few tips.[/ctt]
Comfort is key
To work in a home office, it has to be as comfortable, if not more comfortable, than a standard office environment. You can either invest in ergonomic furniture to support your back, or you can follow the herd and purchase a standing desk. Not only does this slot nicely into a corner, saving you some space, it's going to save your back in the long run. You can have a look at www.varidesk.com to get some inspiration on what type of standing desk suits you. But if you have the space, you might want to turn it into a proper working environment, where you can take appropriate breaks, but be sure not to blur the aspects of business and pleasure, especially in your own home.
Make it different to the rest of your house
Because this is an office, it needs to be appropriate and conducive to the work you do. This means that you need the room to feel like an office space. Decorating it accordingly will help. Purchasing office furniture, such as from sites like www.montgomerys.com will help to maintain the impression that your home space is completely separate. You want to shut that office door at 5 o’clock, and feel like you are somewhere else entirely.
Have adequate lighting
You’re going to spend a lot of time concentrating, and if you are one of those people that doesn't work well under shoddy artificial lighting, now is your opportunity to create appropriate lighting for your space. During the winter, you could purchase some SAD lights to brighten up the office space, especially if it's quite a dark room, but also, having good quality desk lamps means that you won't strain your eyes trying to concentrate.
Don't over decorate
It's a place of work, so it is vital that it stays that way. By all means, make the space inspiring, but don't make it distracting. If you over decorate, you can run the risk of your attention wavering all too often. Instead, make sure you decorate it to aid concentration. This could be by having a minimalist setup, with just a desk and a chair, or if you have an abundance of equipment that you need to use, you have to organize it so that it aids your productivity. You don't want to be tripping over cables and files constantly because, as any entrepreneur will tell you, time is money. And when these little annoyances add up over the course of a year, you'll be quite surprised as to how much time was wasted.
An office space is meant to make you productive, and if you have the opportunity to set one up in your home, this is a perfect time to make it aid your productivity.
This is a contributed post.
- [amazon_textlink asin='B078RG6JZ8|B06XK9JDSW|B004TQL51Y|B073WYPMPM|B004OR13NS|B0778MYSWB|B0744GS6LR' text='ergonomic chair' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe03-21|neededinthe04-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|FR|DE' link_id='008ce198-384d-11e8-9396-7db26c5449c4′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B0765B4QF2|B0721TCBGR|B01BMULFAA|B01BMULFAA|B00NAFC3MU' text='corner standing desk' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21′ marketplace='US|CA|IT|UK|DE' link_id='2dad0173-384d-11e8-93fa-c19de96a34d4′]
- SAD lights
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00VUTAFR8|B00RXSRQCC|B01H00LAVU|B06XDLD8T2|B01EFUNISQ|B0744HT8B8|B01I3BSLKS' text='desk lamps' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='1c5be8ac-384e-11e8-b1e8-eb5d14a97905′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B004MMEHKG|B001E1Y5O6|B0030FI3W4|B0030FI3W4|B004ROMBXY|B00O0NB0CK|B078BDKKCC' text='cable ties' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='a2efd00c-384e-11e8-8be7-5d5abcc4f102′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01L12KL72|B0033UJ6HW|B01JAXS28E|B01JAXS28E|B01LWX0VXB|B01M0QKU1U|B01JAXS28E' text='file organizer' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='d953eae7-384e-11e8-9e30-ede523155a18′]
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Please share this post.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome
Leave a Reply