Although regular readers of the blog called A Forager's Home will know that it is always possible to forage the vast majority of your diet, the truth is that there is also nothing wrong with wanting to grow some plants as well. If you can make it so that your garden is full of edible plants too, then that is only going to supplement your own actual foraging, and that can definitely be something that helps you out a lot. In this article, we are going to look at some of the basic steps you will probably want to take in order to make sure that you are going to be able to turn your garden into a forager’s dream. As long as you follow these steps, you will find that you garden is much more delicious looking very soon.
This is a contributed post and contains affiliate links. My website is my job, and helps to support our family. If you decide to buy something you see mentioned here, I would be so thankful if you clicked through my links so I can receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Please read my full disclosure.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”5dDE9″ via=”yes” ]In this article, we are going to look at some of the basic steps you can take to turn your garden into a forager’s dream. [/ctt]
Turn Your Garden Into A Forager's Dream
Plot It Out
One of the biggest mistakes that people make is that they fail to plan it all out. That means that you then have plants where they shouldn’t be, and that you are much less likely to be able to actually grow them as well as you would hope to. You need to think about what position in the garden is best for what plant, considering the sun, soil, and what has been planted in that soil in the past. Then you can begin to plot out what will go where, and once you have that plan you will probably feel that it is all coming together much more pleasingly. Make sure that you do this, as overlooking it can spell disaster if you are not careful.
Go For Variety
Even if you only have a small garden, you should be able to achieve plenty of variety in your plot of land, and that is something to consider if you are going to want to grow as much as possible. It is much better to go for variety rather than narrowing it down to a niche, simply because the more variety there is, the more likely it is that you will get a lot out of it. You might have a strawberry planter in one section, berries nearby it, and potatoes and roots somewhere else, with even green beans to complete it all off. As long as you have many different kinds of food, you will find it is much more pleasing to look after and harvest.
You will also need to know when to pick the food if you are going to actually make use of it for what you want, and that is something that can take a long time to get right as well. Each plant will need harvesting at a different time and in a different way, so make sure that you don’t forget to research each specific plant beforehand. Harvest them right, and you will have a continuous supply of beautiful fresh produce in your very own garden – perfect to supplement any foraging you might be doing.
This is a contributed post.
- [amazon_textlink asin='0028609956′ text='plan your garden book' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='dd09b704-a17f-11e8-8589-e5f2add2620d']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B07BSSLGNV' text='strawberry planter' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='6a735827-a180-11e8-a4bc-75bebe154b8e']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B071JSC98R' text='strawberries' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='7c08fe51-a180-11e8-9438-9db845029ed1′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B017X472D8′ text='blackberries' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='8cbc0c2e-a180-11e8-9d07-e7391192d0e5′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B07C3M75CG' text='potatoes' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='a233ce13-a180-11e8-ae4a-67ca8cf926d1′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B006OUILPG' text='carrots' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='b3aa7a87-a180-11e8-87ec-2d1fef8ae5d0′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B06XRNN9BJ' text='turnips' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='dfc70ceb-a180-11e8-9162-5b6ae31fad81′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B07F9X2RTV' text='green beans' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='f9b0f60e-a180-11e8-9ac8-618fb9560124′]
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Please share this post.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome