There’s nothing worse than an unexpected guest dropping by, and your house isn’t as fresh as you want it to be! Pets, cooking smells, shoes and bins among other things can all contribute to a musty odor and make your house generally feel like it’s not up to scratch. Here are some of the things you can do to avoid embarrassment, as well as make it pleasant for you and your family.
This is a contributed post and contains affiliate links. My website is my job, and helps to support our family. If you decide to buy something you see mentioned here, I would be so thankful if you clicked through my links so I can receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Please read my full disclosure.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”Ig2U6″ via=”yes” ]Pets, cooking smells, shoes and bins among other things can all contribute to a musty odor. Here are some of the things you can do to eliminate embarrassing odors in the home.[/ctt]
Eliminate Embarrassing Odors in the Home!
On most days, a quick wipe around with a cloth and a vacuum is all that’s needed. Run the dishwasher, put away a few items and your house looks tidy. However every once in a while, a really good clean is needed. If your house has a bit of an odor to it, then a deep clean can help you to get to the source and eliminate it.
Pull open your oven and thoroughly clean inside it, including the drawer, under the drawer and under the unit. See if any food has fallen down the back or is going moldy there and clean behind it.
Empty your trash and recycle containers, put them into the bath tub or utility sink and give them a good scrub with hot soapy water. Dry each very well before adding the next bag. If there is still a smell, the odor may be stuck in the plastic and you will have to buy new receptacles.
Put all of your bedding into a hot wash, and hang to dry outside, if possible.
Hire a carpet cleaner to freshen up carpets and rugs.
Air it Out
Once you have the house sparkling clean, open the windows and let some air in! This really can help to freshen up the home and eliminate stale and musty odors. It can also reduce condensation which in turn can reduce black mould. Aim to open your windows for thirty minutes every day, you can do it while you’re having a quick tidy up.
Banish Cooking Smells
Cooking smells can linger for ages in the home, and things like fish, onions, garlic and other strong smells just aren’t pleasant hours after you’ve eaten! If you use an extractor fan or cooker hood this can be useful for both smells, smoke and moisture. Be sure to change the filters regularly to keep it working at its best. If you’re cooking something that’s making a lot of steam or smoke, again just opening a window or door can be useful.
Buy Some Home Fragrances
Once your home is clean and aired out, why not add in some nice smells? That way you’re scenting the home but without just trying to cover up bad smells. Candles, reed or oil diffusers and plug in air fresheners all work well. Aromatherapy oils can be used in the home too, these can be added to a spray bottle for a natural air freshener. You can add some drops to your vacuum and apply to radiators too. Even putting a few drops of essential oils into sinks and toilets can make the home smell fresh and clean and is something you can do when guests call and say they’re on their way!
Home is where the heart is, and a space where you feel relaxed and comfortable is so important. A home that is clean, organized and smells nice will help you to enjoy your property and can even reduce stress levels.
This is a contributed post.
- [amazon_textlink asin='B009FUF6DM|B009FUF6DM|B010N0N7PQ|B009FUF6DM' text='microfiber cleaning cloth' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|UK' link_id='009a43c3-496e-11e8-ab3e-c17d405c774d']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B06XK5LRWX|B072151QSZ|B01N7CK9ZJ|B00J6UMVF2|B00J6UMVF2|B01N7CK9ZJ|B01HZHYSL2′ text='Bissell vacuum' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='3ef8e8b5-496e-11e8-a12a-1db286cf21ef']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00KVMVCSQ|B00SHMFWTM|B01M0ADBAZ' text='dishwasher soap' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|CA|UK' link_id='69e3ffcf-496e-11e8-a916-63fcd50ff363′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00EHL6TJY|B00EQR4BEY|B00X7DH86G|B00WK6MYI8′ text='portable dishwasher' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21′ marketplace='US|CA|UK|DE' link_id='a52585cf-496e-11e8-9f5c-818074abe4e2′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B077DNC9QZ|B003M5EHIQ' text='easy off oven cleaning spray' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20′ marketplace='US|CA' link_id='e89095e3-496e-11e8-bb9c-078c9c87d02c']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B001CSF44G' text='mold and mildew spray' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='f25c85c1-496e-11e8-aafd-8385b74c173b']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B000EJVYTS' text='13 gallon kitchen trash with lid' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='04f14c18-496f-11e8-8339-fb0338955af8′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00Q8JJ23S' text='laundry detergent' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='111d99e5-496f-11e8-acd0-697161ab4cbc']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B000Q5SUZG' text='oven fan filter' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='2382c418-496f-11e8-805b-c175b47e0965′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B002RB71ZM' text='vanilla scented candle' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='34238296-496f-11e8-8538-8fd4a94b5291′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B06ZYWDK14′ text='reed oil diffuser' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='49631db5-496f-11e8-93a6-1fd709b82eaf']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B0744BVPHX' text='electric essential oil diffuser' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='59e6b7ca-496f-11e8-8619-27d915854c83′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B000G2BESO' text='plug in air freshener' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='730adffc-496f-11e8-91de-23e55c9b4c98′]
- Aromatherapy oils
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01G98Y1BA' text='amber spray bottle' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='794d0c05-496f-11e8-9758-8bb82166dd4f']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00TSTZQEY' text='lavender essential oil' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='86b66d3a-496f-11e8-bd3d-271640b99e84′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00QR6SS6O' text='lemon essential oil' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='9504d7a6-496f-11e8-8210-873b4995bcbf']
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Please share this post.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome