For years designers have been telling us to use minimalism in our homes, but now the trend is moving away from it and maximalism is taking its place. This does not mean you should rush out and buy things to fill all your rooms; it is more to do with colors and lighting, mixing and matching things that would have been frowned upon not so long ago.
This is a contributed post and contains affiliate links. My website is my job, and helps to support our family. If you decide to buy something you see mentioned here, I would be so thankful if you clicked through my links so I can receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Please read my full disclosure.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”jEzs0″ via=”yes” ]The trend is moving away from minimalism and maximalism is taking its place. It has to do with colors and lighting, mixing and matching things.[/ctt]
Forget Minimalism, Maximalism is the Home Trend You Need Right Now
Pick A Bold Color
Start by picking a bold color such as a deep red or blue for your decor. The idea is not to have just whole walls or doors painted with it, but to use it in as many ways as you can. Maybe wallpaper on one wall that has it, or carpets and curtains that have the color in.
Then add a cushion or two and maybe recover a chair's seats with the same color. Mix it with white or other really pale colors, or it will become overwhelming.
Use Modern Lighting
The evolution of LED lighting means you have so much more choice. You can vary the color of the lights to add atmosphere, and do that more than once a day if you wish. You can buy them that come with a remote control to alter the density and color at the push of a button. You can even control them from your smartphone with an app, so if you are away from home they can be on to greet you.
LED lights are not only very flexible, they can cut your lighting costs by up to 80% and are more environmentally friendly than the old incandescent and fluorescent light bulbs.
Add Small Useful Items
Without cluttering your room add some small but useful items. Things like Sunpan end tables can fill a gap, and be used as a surface for whoever if sitting close to them. A rack for your magazines will sit comfortably at the side of a chair or sofa and give you somewhere to put all the newspapers and magazines until you have finished with them.
Don’t Be Afraid To Mix Old With New
Never be afraid to mix old styles with new ones, as the effect can be to make your room look much more appealing. Using things from different time frames, and even from different countries, can make your room very interesting and stylish.
One Large Plant
One large plant in a corner of your room will be much more effective than several small ones dotted about the place. You can buy plants such as a tall banana leaf plant or a palm leaf plant for just a few dollars, and they can be very visually appealing.
The trend now is towards being bolder with your colors and lights and will generally give your room a more homely feel. Many different interior designers from around the world have started to work this way, moving away from the minimalism trend a little, and you will soon see this reflected in the stores we buy our household furnishings from.
This is a contributed post.
- colorful curtains
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00NY1IZAE' text='colorful carpet' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='08660338-8fcd-4f54-8813-aedc951a8ffd']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B07C5WHRVN' text='colorful throw pillows' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='a5543d8e-2bb9-4d22-8416-e6d3ccf577f4′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00HNOUW9U' text='colorful wallpaper' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='844b2b6c-fcf0-4ba8-8ee2-3c87c3bb526c']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B07C651BT8′ text='colorful ottoman' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='09857092-0f0f-4e80-9670-01d9a2d233fd']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B077N4MJQL' text='white throw pillows' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='5999100f-7a47-11e8-a8fc-6fe0e3b2397a']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B0717BGNCJ' text='white ottoman' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='ee54d45a-9980-4101-96f0-db959b8202e5′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B07BB1RGDY' text='remote control LED lighting' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='498a1494-7a48-11e8-9596-bdee9023df91′]
- LIFX – BR30 – 3RD GENERATION-6PK light bulbs to turn on/off from smartphone
- Xiaomi Philips Smart LED Ball Lamp WiFi Remote Control E27 Bulb -White
- Sunpan end tables
- magazine rack
- home decor 1960s
- home decor Paris France
- [amazon_textlink asin='B004XWCZXQ' text='large plant' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='0adffd10-7a4a-11e8-8af7-f3924883b981′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B008D2SXOC' text='tall banana leaf plant' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='a548950d-dc6e-433b-99db-0ed146fa68b2′]
- palm leaf plant
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Please share this post.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome