A polish and a shine goes a long way in keeping your home looking fresh, but sometimes furniture needs a closer look and a little deeper care. There are few things to match the natural appeal of wooden furniture, but dents, scratches, and chips are all too noticeable when they happen. So, what can you do to ensure wooden furniture can bounce back from wear and tear?
This is a contributed post and contains affiliate links. My website is my job, and helps to support our family. If you decide to buy something you see mentioned here, I would be so thankful if you clicked through my links so I can receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Please read my full disclosure.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”P2bE2″ via=”yes” ]Restoring wood furniture – Here's what you can do to ensure wooden furniture can bounce back from years of wear and tear.[/ctt]
Restoring Wood Furniture – Welcome Worn Out Wood Back Into The Home
Start with a clean
Before you do any work to wooden furniture, you have to ensure that it’s fully stripped and cleaned. https://home.howstuffworks.com shows helpful tips on how to remove specific finishes, such as shellac and lacquer, as well as removing paint and varnish. Once you have the furniture completely stripped down, it’s a good idea to give a quick clean over with a wet cloth. Don’t soak it too much as, without its waterproofing, the wood will warp easily under moisture’s influence. Remember to remove any knobs, handles, or other metal bits before you start working on your furniture, as well.
Fill in the gaps
There are a few different ways to repair the little imperfections that can mar the surface of your wooden furniture over time. For smaller scrapes, sear marks or imperfections, sanding might be the right approach to take. By skimming off the very surface level, you can either minimize the appearance of marks or level out the surface entirely. There are wood fillers that you can use to plug up any deeper dents or holes, as well. Make sure you choose a filler that matches the pigment of the wood. You can help it blend in later, but choosing a matching filler gives yourself less work to do.
Add a fresh coat
Most homeowners aren’t really aware that wooden furniture needs to be recoated from time to time. There are suppliers with stains widely available from https://www.ctisupply.com and similar stores. A fresh coat of stain and varnish can help blend in filler and cover smaller imperfections. What’s more, resealing the wood is essential for helping it retain its waterproof functions as well. If the furniture belongs outdoors, then you are going to need to go through this process a little more regularly.
Give it your own sense of style
Don’t be afraid to get more experimental when refreshing your wooden furniture, either. A fresh coat of paint will not only give it more personality, but it can also help to make scratches disappear under the surface, giving it a smooth, shiny coat once more. On the other hand, some choose to go the other direction by distressing wood on purpose to give it a shabby chic look. Wood is one of the easiest materials to work with and to alter, and there are plenty of changes, little and large you can make. Express yourself with your furniture.
In time, you might have to bite the bullet and say goodbye to older furniture. However, hopefully, the tips above can keep that day at bay and help you ensure your favorite pieces are always looking fresh.
This is a contributed post.
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01ENK6UYM|B01ENK6UYM|B071FGS48W|6042646559|B00D46AI6S|B00D13IM8U' text='shellac remover' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|FR' link_id='cbdc4d83-3d84-11e8-a735-3329fac9bd43′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B000BZZ5F4|B00B1UE15S|B0015GEMSE|B0080ZCOI8|B06XRDHVZM|B0015GD91U|B0015G9EGY' text='lacquer remover' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinthe00-20|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|ES|CA|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='177e2e0d-3d85-11e8-bb6c-096b95a2766e']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B000QFCP1G|B000QFCP1G|B00B4WK17K|B00B4WK17K|B00N6HRCMI|B072XK43CQ|B00B4WK17K' text='paint remover ‘ template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21|neededintheho-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|DE|FR|UK' link_id='4b5311ee-3d85-11e8-aa73-4b7257deeef4′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00002NCJK|B00002NCJK|B00B4WK17K|B00B4WK17K|B005IP5NIQ|B004QVBIQE|B004OTOM0M' text='varnish remover' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinth0b3-21|neededinthe0c-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|IT|ES|UK|DE|FR' link_id='a422d17f-3d85-11e8-a392-01ae371a54c7′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00002N6FE|B00004Z47W|B013W44ESY|B006HR1SLU|B003BUZBUA|B001CC1PMW|B074LR45K2′ text='sand paper' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='d4206e82-3d85-11e8-92e6-e37e9281d4a2′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01N0VJVQD|B07BH7FRPJ|B0798PFP1T|B00EZ3NXVG|B01I5A8HA6|B00EZ3NXVG|B00EZ3NXVG' text='electric sander kit' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='0cac4ad8-3d86-11e8-ba39-1f2ad9c6909f']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B000BQM72C|B019GIS0YY|B001GU6ED0|B001GU6ED0|B001GUA5IU|B0057A35PU' text='wood filler' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE' link_id='480948b8-3d86-11e8-b0a8-e3b377467d63′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B000VZNESE|B001CESFSM|B00I8MJOE0|B000S6OF84|B008VPDOTU|B00T68SZUE|B001GU6GLU' text='wood varnish' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinth0b3-21|neededinthe0c-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|IT|ES|UK|DE|FR' link_id='8bd2a554-3d86-11e8-9e32-594932db04f2′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B000BZYZXC|B00JE8TCDU|B007UXTUMO|B00I8MJERC|B00M70ZEKW|B01HN60BKW|B00554HUFE' text='wood paint' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='d8c103de-3d86-11e8-95c7-2f0185fa35e5′]
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Please share this post.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome