Whether it belongs to you, your partner, or an older child in the home, the introduction of a motorcycle is sure to raise some eyebrows. There’s no denying they’re exciting, but we all have some understanding that they can also be dangerous. Is the reputation that motorcycles have truly earned? Is there anything you can do or encourage your loved ones to do to help you worry a little less about their new toy? Here are some lessons on motorcycle safety that everyone needs to know.
This is a contributed post and contains affiliate links. My website is my job, and helps to support our family. If you decide to buy something you see mentioned here, I would be so thankful if you clicked through my links so I can receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Please read my full disclosure.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”ukt5j” via=”yes” ]Motorcycles can be dangerous. Here are some lessons on motorcycle safety that everyone needs to know about the new motorcycle in the family. [/ctt]
Be aware of the unique dangers
All the same safety tips that we teach new drivers should apply doubly to motorcyclists. Studies have shown that new riders are amongst the most at-risk drivers on the road. Learning to use the road responsibly is crucial. Motorcyclists also face some unique challenges compared to drivers. For one, motorcycles are impacted more significantly by adverse road conditions than most vehicles. Patches of gravel and sand on the road when making turns can also lead to a spill, so turning into corners slowly is an essential habit to learn. One common mistake of new riders is forgetting to unlock the brake before setting off, too, so checking the brakes needs to be drilled into the head of new riders.
What sharing the road really means
One of the biggest risks in riding motorcycles is, as George Salinas points out, inattentive drivers. Motorcycles are very easily hidden in the average driver’s blind spot. Because they’re much smaller, drivers who don’t pay close attention to the road around them are more likely to make maneuvers they wouldn’t make if they knew you were there. For that reason, riders have to make sure they give a little extra room to larger vehicles. It ensures that they have more time to react if the other driver pulls off something dangerous and heightens their chance of being spotted. It’s worth wearing a helmet camera to record your rides, too. Because they are considered inherently more dangerous, you have to be able to prove when another driver is at fault for a collision.
Invest in the right gear
The rider of a motorcycle is most definitely at more risk than the driver of a car. If you get in an accident, there’s a good chance you will be thrown from the motorcycle across the road. That’s why a lot of the safety gear you need, as shown by Riding Line, is about protecting yourself from the friction of the road. A helmet can protect you from the force of severe bangs to the head, but more serious injuries during motorcycle accidents come from sliding across the road at high speeds. If you want to truly be safe, never ride without the padded gear that can protect you from such a slide.
The added risk that comes with riding a motorcycle is real. But that doesn’t mean that nothing can be done to combat it. Have a frank talk about some of the dangers, as well as ways to help stay safer on the road on those two wheels.
This is a contributed post.
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00IAJS6QI' text='full face enclosed motorcycle helmet with Snell Memorial Foundation and DOT approved rating' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='dc7f8c60-7ad1-11e8-a929-23fef49bb7df']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00ZJJOKS0′ text='leather motorcycle gloves' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='ebe7075f-7ad1-11e8-b7c1-2f0fb63ca7ca']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B071R2KFMS' text='leather motorcycle jacket with a thickness of 1.1 mm to 1.4 mm.' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='058986e7-7ad2-11e8-8370-ed5d8067ccc0′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B06XBPSSW7′ text='motorcycle pants with Kevlar panels' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='27656f50-7ad2-11e8-958b-e10a722e7d74′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B078BR5QXV' text='motorcycle memory foam body armor' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='72270224-7ad2-11e8-8230-4348c74e3238′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01CENP41U' text='Gore-tex motorcycle boots' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='865701f2-7ad2-11e8-ab2a-571431a9156c']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B078NLMPWX' text='motorcycle elbow protection' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='99921b41-7ad2-11e8-8375-f5a4d5421ec8′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B004JKEQ3Y' text='motorcycle shin protection' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='aa775c6e-7ad2-11e8-8757-95192d4a736c']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B0719TJVP3′ text='motorcycle knee protection' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='b8dbbf8b-7ad2-11e8-bd24-6d40f1d79b0d']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01G8QRTN0′ text='motorcycle neck protection' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='c4ece384-7ad2-11e8-98c1-6f485371ad94′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00JAN4P3Q' text='motorcycle shoulder protection' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='ea9ae275-7ad2-11e8-baf0-4fe0fc28930a']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00MQHO0OW' text='motorcycle helmet camera' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='72adefd2-7ad3-11e8-b8f5-43123169d2a0′]
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Please share this post.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome