This post could be aimed at absolutely any one. If you’re just about to buy your first home, or whether you’ve lived in your own home for years and years. Sometimes you just can’t be prepared for everything that you should do, and home life is definitely one of these things. There are many things that can go wrong, and many setbacks that you’ll face along the way that can actually make owning a home ten times harder. But we’re here to try and protect you from the many things that could potentially go wrong. Below is a list of things that you should think about, but probably haven’t even considered before!
This is a contributed post and contains affiliate links. My website is my job, and helps to support our family. If you decide to buy something you see mentioned here, I would be so thankful if you clicked through my links so I can receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Please read my full disclosure.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”f8qac” via=”yes” ]Home life: are you prepared for anything? Here are some things that you should think about, but probably haven’t even considered before![/ctt]
A Growing Brood
Sometimes you plan it, sometimes you don’t, but one thing you need to think about pretty soon is a growing brood, and whether yours is going to grow. More importantly, if you don’t have any children at the minute, but you know you’re going to start your own little family, then it is important to know that things are going to massively change around the house. Financially is the first way, and it’ll hit you hard before you know it. Not only will you have to find the money to buy everything ready for your new child, you’ll need to decorate the room, and find the money to keep supporting your family as the child grows. For a lot of people this can be rather intimidating, especially if the pregnancy wasn’t planned. But the main thing you need to remember is that you’ll have 9 months to plan and sort things, and the earlier you actually do it the better off you’re going to be. Even if it’s things as small as a pack of nappies, it’s better than nothing. You then should think about things such as baby proofing the place to keep your little family safe. If you’re about to be a first time parent, there are plenty of guides on the internet that will help you with the whole process, as well as adjusting to becoming a new mom!
If you know your brood isn’t going to grow, then you should consider downsizing if your family can afford to. If you know you’ve got too much space, and the cost of living in your current home is too much, then there’s no reason why you shouldn’t consider downsizing. We understand that moving in the short term is an absolute nightmare, but the money you’re going to be able to save in the long run will be so beneficial to you and your family.
There are many home disasters that can strike at any time, and most of the time it just can’t be stopped. Let’s talk about one of the biggest, and by far one of the most money draining there is, the dreaded pipe leak. The thing with a leak in the plumbing is that it’s usually slow growing, meaning it takes its sweet time to soak absolutely everything in the plaster upstairs, before soaking through the sealing and making itself known downstairs. You then have a whole big mess to deal with both upstairs and downstairs that can really get in the way of your life. There’s nothing you can really do to prepare yourself for this other than make sure you’ve got home insurance to cover any contents that could potentially get ruined, and make sure you know of a good plumber to get the problem sorted straight away.
Another home disaster that can so easily occur in a lot of countries is problems with pets and bugs. Particularly in hotter countries, bugs seem to find their way into homes no matter what, and when they do they can cause a bit of a stir. If you check out this service however, you should be able to get to situation sorted pretty quickly. There are also a few things you can do to try and make sure the problem doesn’t happen again. Firstly, you should get a netted outer door to try and stop as many bugs as possible coming through. Having the outer netted door will allow you to have that nice air flow coming through when the weather is too warm, but that layer of protection against nasty bugs. You should make sure that netted door is kept shut as much as possible. Secondly you need to make sure cleaning up any spillages of anything sticky. It’s what attracts the bugs, and if you have children they’re probably the ones bringing them in! Anything like a split drink, a little bit of chocolate on the floor etc. needs to go.
Price increases are an absolute nightmare, especially if you’re already struggling with things as they are. The first price increase you need to be aware of is the increase in your mortgage rate. They don’t happen very often, and often only happen due to things such as inflation rate. If this happens to you and you are struggling to afford it, see if an option such as remortgaging will help to knock the price down a little. If it doesn’t then you might want to think about downsizing to make sure you can live comfortably without stressing about money. The other price increase you might encounter is the rise in bills as your family grows. What we advise you do is always use comparison websites to make sure you’re getting the best deals possible.
A Potential Move
A potential move could always be on the cards, and it is something you should always be prepared for. We’ve listed a couple of reasons why you might need to move already just in this article, but there are so many more that could see you moving house. The best thing you can do to prepare is make sure you have plenty of savings behind you to be able to afford the move. And make sure you’re prepared with things such as someone to help with the kids so that the move doesn’t take its toll too much on the family.
This is a contributed post.
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01EKZO93O|B01EKZO93O|B00ZV2D9UU|B01M6CG3BW|B00DDMILGM|B01M6CG3BW' text='Luvs Diapers size 1′ template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='c6942ad0-3917-11e8-a9f6-2fc42e36ba0c']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00018XCK6|B00KDK2GQI|B000BQ8DWA|B01NBB3Q6A|B00KDK2GQI|B00KDK2GQI|B00KDK2GQI' text='plastic outlet safety covers' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='0cfb8acb-3918-11e8-9d6a-e55b0592d14f']
- [amazon_textlink asin='0761187480|B01IM9A6S6|1545590834|1847373755|1545590834|B071H7VWTR|1545590834′ text='What to expect when you are expecting book' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededintheho-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|UK|IT|DE|FR' link_id='6f389e63-3918-11e8-8068-9101c1b9da5b']
- [amazon_textlink asin='0316198269|0316198269|0316198269|0316198269|0316198269|0316198269|0316198269′ text='The Baby Book by Dr. Sears' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='a5decad1-3918-11e8-972d-99e80f652182′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B074DRVF5C|B078W67GN9|B00DZVIKB2|B00DZVIKB2|B07BBNQBL9|B01FSTS47S|B073WJW2W9′ text='restaurant bug trap' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinthe0c-21|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|ES|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='2294e8de-3919-11e8-9d9d-87716ad3aafc']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00Q70RCW6|B00SHMDW4E|B00017IJQE|B00QIIIZ2I|B00RMK71E4|B002SH4D24′ text='cleaning wipes' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20|neededinthe00-20|neededinth0b3-21|neededintheho-21|neededinthe04-21|neededinthe03-21′ marketplace='US|CA|IT|UK|DE|FR' link_id='6471b844-3919-11e8-a407-7902448d93ba']
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Please share this post.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome
Leave a Reply