If you have just bought a old home and would like to create a unique style while preserving some of the original features while renovating, you will have to be careful to strike the right balance between modern and traditional features. Even if you have a modern cottage, you can create a rustic feel inside and outside, provided that you follow a careful plan. If you are determined to create a space you can be proud of, check out the below tips before you start.
This is a contributed post and contains affiliate links. My website is my job, and helps to support our family. If you decide to buy something you see mentioned here, I would be so thankful if you clicked through my links so I can receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you! Please read my full disclosure.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”20c70″ via=”yes” ]If you are determined to create a rustic feel in your house that you can be proud of, check out these tips before you start.[/ctt]
How to Create a Rustic Feel In Your House
Let Beams Show
The best feature of any old cottage or farmhouse is the original beams. While they need regular TLC, they can be preserved to decorate your home. Wooden beams can be used to hang your ornaments or create a contrast on your ceiling. However, the older they are the more maintenance they will need. Talk to an expert to make sure how to keep pests out of the wood and maintain their color and strength for many years to come.
Rustic Wooden Windows
Image via Elliott Stallion
A great way of creating a rustic feel in your home on a budget is installing rustic Wood Windows and shutters. They will not only help you control the light and shade, but also improve your home’s curb appeal. You might even get treated shutters and windows that will not need painting for many years, while taking care of all your insulation needs through additional glazing features.
To express your style and value and create a sophisticated look in your home, it is important that you invest in quality oak doors with traditional hinges and handles. Even if the previous owner modernized the space and installed some more contemporary designs, replacing your doors and windows will not cost a fortune. You can find some upcycled and reclaimed items at your local antique store, and tailor their appearance to the style of your house.
Of course, every rustic home deserves a real wooden floor. If you don’t have the energy and time to look after real wood, wood effect tiles can be a great alternative for your home. They will not need waxing and polishing, but still look rustic and of high quality. Still, you can mop them up with a traditional floor cleaner and maintain their look for much longer. Whether you have a wooden floor already or are just planning on getting some installed, pay attention to the condition of the floor boards, as if they are damaged, your wooden floor might bend or crack.
Upcycled Dining Furniture
Image via Toa Heftiba
The heart of every traditional cottage or farmhouse is the kitchen and dining room. If you can get your hands on some real wood dining furniture, you can get the style right. You don’t have to pay a fortune for new items; there are plenty of interior designers who create upcycled projects for you to try in your home. If you are good at DIY, you can also try to upcycle an old wooden table you found at the local antique store.
You don’t only want to make the rustic feel spread inside the house, but also outside. To improve your home’s curb appeal, you can plant a small herb garden under the front window and have some traditional plants in there that will keep the air fresh and aromatic inside. From Marjoram to Lavender and Thyme, there are several herbs that are very easy to grow in small spaces and provide you with the rustic feel. You might also want to visit an antique barn to pick up a few old pots and window boxes to complete the look.
Window Dressing and Upholstery
Of course, you will have to adapt the style of the countryside and old times when it comes to choosing your sofa, curtains, and drapes. A simple checkered pattern or a striped material all through the room will make your home appear rustic and authentic at the same time. Cotton and wool materials, as well as velvet with fringes will make your home look as if it was designed in the 19th century, still comfortable, inviting, and warm.
Getting the balance between comfort and rustic design can be challenging for most people. If you want to live in the traditional cottage or farmhouse of your dreams, follow these guidelines and make the most out of the original features of the interior and the exterior, too. Pay attention to the quality of materials, and pay a visit to antique stores to pick up some unique items.
This is a contributed post.
- wood beams
- Wood Windows
- wood shutters
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00XMY6TXI' text='oak door' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='e5fb1823-6ea4-11e8-b156-7343f2d05ef3′]
- traditional hinges
- traditional handle
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00J8SLW16′ text='wooden floor' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='03d27202-6ea6-11e8-bf10-35c5cbbfb42f']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B00HDHSBIG' text='wood effect tiles' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='1daddc52-6ea6-11e8-916c-7125d1e3bfc0′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B0084YPF5Y' text='wood dining furniture' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='29fef044-6ea6-11e8-a072-3b7ebcebce4c']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B07BK9S4L5′ text='herb window garden kit' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='3815a8b4-6ea6-11e8-8ce6-8b64da6e035f']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B07BF65QD1′ text='Marjoram' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='42885f1f-6ea6-11e8-ad99-a75ed9e7da0f']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B01N900E56′ text='Lavender' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='50d1e79d-6ea6-11e8-b337-83e8668d16b0′]
- [amazon_textlink asin='B078GVDB1F' text='Thyme' template='ProductLink' store='neededintheho-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='6666a74b-6ea6-11e8-8199-df8c052f4f07′]
- Old pots
- Old window boxes
- rustic sofa
- rustic curtains
- rustic drapes
- checkered tablecloth
Subscribe so you never miss a post.
Please share this post.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to receive our latest articles and promotional content by email from NeededInTheHome