If you love the Thieves® Laundry Soap, yet go through a lot of laundry like my large family does, you may need an extender recipe to make it last longer and still get your clothing just as clean. Here is a recipe that works for my large family of ten.
Note: I am a Brand Representative for Young Living and some links in this post are affiliate links. In the event that you click on a link and make a purchase, I receive a paid commission.
Why We Love This Thieves Laundry Soap Extender Recipe
This recipe is a simple mix of five ingredients: Water, Thieves® Laundry Soap, Thieves® Household Cleaner, Lavender Essential Oil, and Purification® Essential Oil Blend. Here is a little information about the Young Living ingredients…
Thieves® Laundry Soap
My husband has very sensitive skin and we have spent much money over the years in testing at the dermatologist to find out what he is allergic to. One of the chemicals he is allergic to is iodopropynyl butylcarbamate along with a few others. Sadly, laundry detergent manufacturers in the United States don't have to list this ingredient on their labels!!!
He just has to be a “guinea pig” and wash an item with the detergent and see if he reacts! This angers me! Young Living actually lists their ingredients…
From their website… “Water, Decyl glucoside, Glycerin, Sodium oleate, Lauryl glucoside, Caprylyl glucoside, Sodium carbonate, Alpha amylase, Lipase, Protease, Sodium gluconate, Carboxymethyl cellulose, Citrus limon† (Lemon) peel oil, Citrus aurantium bergamia† (Bergamot) peel oil (Furocoumarin-free), Citrus limon† (Jade lemon) peel oil, Eugenia caryophyllus† (Clove) bud oil, Cinnamon zeylanicum† (Cinnamon) bark oil, Rosmarinus officinalis† (Rosemary) leaf oil, Eucalyptus radiata† leaf oil
†Premium essential oil”
Well, I still didn't know what some of those were so I still had to wash an article of his clothing and try it to see if he reacted. The results? No reaction! And his clothes smelled clean! I had been making my own laundry soap, but I never liked the smell of the clothing afterwards. With Thieves® Laundry Soap, I love the smell of the clothing and his skin does not react!
The only problem was I wanted to use it for my entire family and our bedding and towels, yet it was expensive for how many loads our family goes through. An Amish friend of mine gave me an extender recipe, which I tweaked just a little and it works very well in our HE washing machine. Now I am sharing it with you.
Thieves® Household Cleaner
Here are the ingredients from the Young Living website, “
Water, Alkyl polyglucoside, Sodium methyl 2-sulfolaurate, Disodium 2-sulfolaurate, Thieves [Eugenia caryophyllus† (Clove) bud oil, Citrus limon† (Lemon) peel oil, Cinnamomum zeylanicum† (Cinnamon) bark oil, Eucalyptus radiata† leaf oil, Rosmarinus officinalis† (Rosemary) leaf oil, Tetrasodium glutamate diacetate
†Premium essential oil”
Again, I am not going to take the time to research all of these, so I just had to try this out on my husband and his skin did not react and his clothes smell great! I am very happy with this recipe I am sharing with you today.
Lavender Essential Oil
Why did I choose Lavender Essential Oil to mix with this laundry recipe? Couldn't I have chosen something else? Yes, of course, you can tweak your own recipe how you want to. I chose it because I have found it to have these properties – calming/soothing, relaxes the mind and body from stress, anxiety and tension, decreases blood pressure and aids in effective and restful sleep to allow the body to reset, soothes minor skin irritations and Lavender's tranquil aroma is soothing for the senses and Lavender provides many skin care benefits when applied topically.
Purification® Essential Oil Blend
I chose Purification® Essential Oil Blend because it is a combination of Citronella, Lavandin, Lemongrass, Myrtle, Rosemary, and Tea Tree that is formulated to neutralize odors and to purify or to help boost your cleaning power. It freshens musty and stale bath towels that have been waiting for me to wash them with its clean, invigorating scent. This combination of oils is known to be soothing to your skin for everyday irritations, so it is a wonderful addition to laundry soap. I also like to use it on dryer balls to give my laundry a bright-smelling boost.
Thieves® Essential Oil Blend
I can't talk about the other ingredients without mentioning something about Thieves® Essential Oil Blend, which is the main ingredient for both of these cleaning products. Here is some information from the Young Living website so you have some details about them. “Thieves® essential oil blend is a powerful combination of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils. Formulated by Young Living founder, D. Gary Young, this blend was created from research recorded in the archives of the British Museum library about a group of 14th century European perfumers and spice traders who rubbed oils on themselves while they robbed the dying.” This was back when there was a terrible plague! Yet they were healthy!
From the website again, “The first essential oil blend to be scientifically evaluated in a university research laboratory, Thieves has a rich, spicy aroma, and is a key ingredient in our Thieves Home Collection – your go to for an invigorating clean and healthy home.”
I am thinking in my mind that I don't intend to rob the dead or dying, but I do want my family to be as healthy as possible, even with plagues or whatever illnesses all around us and the more ways we use this stuff, the better! Don't you agree?
Thieves® Laundry Soap Extender Recipe
Alright, enough information, let's get to the recipe! You can get the printable recipe here or at the end of this article.
- one Ball Wide Mouth 64oz Half Gallon Mason Jar
- one Wooden Spoon
- one funnel if you want to pour from the plastic Thieves® Laundry Soap container
- one ladle if you want to scoop from the jar
- Thieves® Laundry Soap
- Thieves® Household Cleaner
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Purification® Essential Oil Blend
- Paper to print label
- Clear packing tape to tape label on jar
Pour the entire bottle of Thieves® Laundry Soap into the glass jar. This 32 ounce bottle normally cleans up to 64 loads of clothing, we are going to at least double this with our extender recipe!
Completely fill the empty Laundry Soap bottle with water and pour it all into the glass jar. Don't worry, it will fit!
Fill the cap of the Laundry Soap to the top with the Thieves® Household Cleaner. Then carefully pour the entire capful into the glass jar. You can use the rest of your bottle to make these 29 cleaning recipes.
Add approximately 15 drops of lavender essential oil to the mix in the glass jar. Don't worry if you get a few extra drops in there.
Put in approximately 15 drops of Purification® Essential Oil Blend into the glass jar.
Mix it all together with your wooden spoon.
Place the lid on and dry off the outside of the container.
Now it's time to download and print your recipe to use as a label so everyone knows how to mix it in the future and how much to use per load.
Prepare your laundry soap for use by either pouring it from the jar into the empty laundry soap container or use a small ladle to scoop it out of the jar. If you scoop it, have a washcloth to lay the ladle on so you can always screw the jar shut. I have nosy cats who do not need to lick that, so I put mine back into the laundry soap container. With your next purchase of Thieves® Laundry Soap, you will have two containers to fill!
I hope you have enjoyed this recipe. You can sign up here to get free weekly essential oils recipes sent to your email.
How To Buy Young Living Products
- Go to https://neededinthehome.com/younglivingoils. (this puts my seller number #19539051 Amy Marohl on your purchase. Thank you for supporting my home business and large family of ten. We appreciate you!)
- Search for product, highlight the desired item.
- Click CREATE LOYALTY ORDER (This gives you points to spend on YL products, plus a FREE DIFFUSER after the second month. You can cancel at any time).
- Click out of the shopping cart to search again for an additional desired product and ADD TO CART.
- Repeat Step 4 until you have all the items you want.
- Add a Business Essentials Kit, today lowest price ever at $1, in case you share your link & someone buys YL items, you get paid. (Pay structure included in kit.) Find it with a search and type in “BUSINESS”.
- Click VIEW CART, Add Promo Code SHAREYL to get 10% discount on first purchase with 50 PV.
- Make sure it is a Loyalty Order and check out with your products. Once you've placed your first loyalty order, you can manage your monthly shipment on the loyalty order page in your account.
- Go to your email, and open your “Order Place Successfully” email, that confirms your email (if email not opened, it's not confirmed – nothing ships to avoid bots).
Loyalty Rewards – When you enroll in Young Living's Loyalty Rewards program, you unlock a 24 percent discount on every future purchase, so you need this to get the 24% off on future orders.
- COLLECT LOYALTY POINTS – Every month you place a 50+ PV (point value) loyalty order, you earn loyalty points that can be spent like store credit! Plus, the longer you place consecutive 50+ PV loyalty orders, the more points you earn!
- EARN LOYALTY GIFTS – You earn a free gift every three months for the first year, and an exclusive gift every 12 months.
- PLUS you'll get a free Desert Mist Diffuser with your 2nd loyalty order placed at 50+ PV (retail value $39.41)!
*These statements are my opinion and have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Young Living products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.